Monday, April 2, 2012

Skyline Super D

This past Saturday, the 31st March, I came out of retirement to race for the first time in 3 years and compete in the second annual Skyline Super D, part of the 2012 Queenstown Bike Festival. Super D or Super Enduro, as it's known in Europe, is the best combination of terrain, excitement and requiring high all round fitness and skills. This particular race is 6 hours long, on a course approximately 7 km's long on the DH tracks at Skyline Bike Park. Mixed in with the downhills are a number of short sharp technical climbs. The laps take about 20 to 25 minutes, including riding back to the top of the course in the gondola. The object is to complete the most amount of laps in 6 hours.

There were 170 entrants, a mixture of teams and solo riders, such as myself. There were about 100 riders on course at any one time. After the 6 hours, I had completed just shy of 14 laps, so only counted as 13 laps. I won my class, vet male, easily and placed 7th out of the 44 solo riders and 26th overall including the teams. I rode my Commencal Meta SX, which dealt with the demanding course with ease, giving me some big thrills with the speed and air it takes in it's stride.

Check out the pictures!!!







No comments:

Post a Comment